Saturday, December 11, 2010

Using Speaking Notes When Delivering Presentations

There is a right way and wrong way to use speaking notes when delivering a presentation. The wrong way is to read directly from your notes. The right way is to glance at them throughout your presentation to keep it on track.

I prefer to have speaking notes when I deliver presentations. Usually I just jot down a few important points that I do not want to lose sight of while I am presenting. However, I have seen many people deliver presentations where they have scripted their speaking notes and read them word for word.

If you want to use speaking notes, here are a few tips you can use to ensure that you do not end up reading them word for word:


  • Use speaking notes to capture the outline of your presentation. If you write out everything you want to say, you will likely end up reading it to your audience.
  • Use speaking notes to capture additional points or points of interest you want to mention.
  • Put your speaking notes on index cards, instead of full sheets of paper. Index cards are easier to hold (and have less space for notes!).